- Hospitals must register with the LHA to participate. A “hospital” is any entity that is licensed as a hospital by the Department of Health and Hospitals.
- Each hospital is a separate team and has one (1) site coordinator called the “Team Leader.”
- Each Team Leader can recruit Crew Members to assist with the contest promotion, assist with weigh-in sites, and create themes or activities to keep team members motivated. Crew members do not need to be hospital employees. They can be community volunteers, family members, friends, etc.
- Hospitals may have several weigh-in sites and/or Crew Members to manage team member weigh-ins.
- Hospital Team Leaders and any Crew Members who have access to enter or edit data in the weight tracking database do not qualify for Grand Prizes for Individuals or Achievement Prizes.
- The Louisiana Hospital Association will also serve as a “hospital team.” The LHA does not qualify for the Hospital Grand Prize or Community Outreach Prize. LHA employees and any of their family members do not qualify for Grand Prizes for Individuals or Achievement Prizes.
- A hospital team should recruit staff, family members, individuals and Community Partners to participate on its team.
- Community Partners are local businesses and organizations. Individuals affiliated with a Community Partner must select “Community Partner” on the registration form and provide the name of their organization/business. Individuals affiliated with a Community Partner are eligible for individual prizes.
- Team members/individuals cannot be on more than one team.
- Team member recruitment begins Oct. 1. However, because of the length of the challenge, hospitals can add team members throughout the challenge. Only weight loss logged after an individual registers counts toward the team’s goal.
- Individuals must register at www.GeauxLite.org and select the hospital team they are representing.
- Upon registration, individuals must accept the terms of participation and execute a waiver through a check box on the Geaux Lite website. Individuals who do not accept the terms or agree to the waiver are not eligible to participate.
- The Geaux Lite website has a Results Page that will list the current top five individuals from each hospital who are losing the most weight based on percentage of body weight lost. It will also display pounds lost for these top five individuals. This data will change throughout the competition, based on data provided by hospital Team Leaders. However, individuals have the option to select “public” or “private” regarding the way their name will be displayed. “Public” allows their name and the amount of weight lost by percentage, along with pounds lost, to appear on the website. “Private” masks their name on the website for privacy.
- If participants choose the masking option on the website, the participant’s name will be kept confidential and only shared with the hospital Geaux Lite Louisiana Team Leader/Crew Members and LHA Geaux Lite Louisiana staff to determine eligibility for prizes.
- Team members will be asked to weigh-in at their hospital’s weigh-in site or a satellite site set up by the hospital or Community Partner beginning Oct. 1.
- Weekly or bi-weekly weigh-ins are encouraged to keep team members motivated, but are not required.
- Hospitals are asked to host monthly weigh-ins and report the data collected by the hospital to the LHA. This allows the LHA to post stats on how teams are doing.
- Weight will be measured in tenths of pounds. If a hospital or Community Partner does not have the capability to weigh to the tenths, then they should round to the nearest half pound.
- An individual’s initial weigh-in and final recorded weight will be used for determining winners.
- Final weigh-ins must be completed from March 1 to midnight on April 1. Hospital Team Leaders have until April 4 to enter final weights into the Geaux Lite Website. Weigh-in sites will be required to keep a record of team members’ beginning and ending weights as backup to the data system.
- Weigh-ins must be conducted during the official times for participants to be eligible for prizes. Weigh-ins done before or after the official dates (Oct. 1, 2013 – April 1, 2014) are not allowed and will result in those participants’ totals being excluded.
- If any team member cannot use a standard scale for the weigh-in, please call a weigh-in site in advance to check for special accommodations.
- Participants need to wear normal business attire for weigh-ins. Bulky items, such as overcoats, purses, work boots, etc., will not be allowed.
- Participants are encouraged to take before and after photos, as winners will be encouraged to submit these photos for the Geaux Lite Louisiana Celebration. However, if you win, you are not required to submit a photo.
- This program is intended for adults. No one under the age of 18 is eligible to participate.
- Those who are pregnant, or who become pregnant, are not eligible to participate.
- If your BMI is under 20, you are not eligible to participate. Please see instructions for calculating your BMI.
Prizes and Eligibility
Prizes are offered through the LHA Research & Education Foundation to encourage participation.
Grand Prizes for Individuals (4 Individuals): Prizes will be awarded to the female and male who lose the most weight by pounds and the female and male who lose the most weight based on percentage of body weight lost.
- These four will each win a $1,000 VISA gift card and a Geaux Lite shirt. They will also receive a VIP invitation to the Geaux Lite Louisiana Celebration.
- Grand prize winners do not qualify for Achievement Prizes. The next eligible person at the hospital will receive the Achievement Prize for that facility.
Achievement Prize/Local Winners (1 Individual Per Hospital Team): Each hospital that registers a team will have one winner. This is the individual on the hospital’s team (staff, family, friend, community partner, etc.) who loses the most weight based on percentage of body weight lost.
- These individuals will each receive a $500 VISA gift card and a Geaux Lite shirt. They will also receive an invitation to the Geaux Lite Louisiana Celebration.
Hospital Grand Prize (4 Hospitals): Four hospital grand prizes of $4,000 each will be awarded to the hospitals (one in each of four bed size categories) that have the greatest overall team weight loss based on percentage of body weight lost.
- Bed Size Categories: Less Than 50 Beds; 51-100 Beds; 101-250 Beds; and 251 and More Beds.
- Each of the four hospitals will receive an invitation for one individual to represent the hospital at the Geaux Lite Louisiana Celebration.
Community Outreach Prize (1 Hospital): A $1,000 prize will be awarded to the hospital whose Community Partners (local businesses and organizations) have the greatest overall weight loss based on percentage of body weight lost.
- The hospital will receive an invitation for one individual to represent the hospital at the Geaux Lite Louisiana Celebration.
In case of a tie in any category, the names of the tied individuals or hospitals will go into a drawing, and one winner will be selected.Back to Top
Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculation
The body mass index (BMI) uses your height and weight to determine if you are underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese (very overweight). BMI may be used for adults between 19 and 70 years of age. Do not use BMI if you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman, a competitive athlete, a bodybuilder, a child, or an elderly person who is frail and inactive.
To calculate your BMI, you can use the calculator on the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website: BMI CalculatorBack to Top